Saturday, October 29, 2005

Second thoughts on Bogut bashing

Since I only started this blog yesterday, many of my readers (ha!) have no idea of my opinions on Andrew Bogut. All summer I've been getting on the Bucks for picking the "great white dope" and I've also referred to him several times as "Blow-gut." Well in light of the Bucks recent trade for Jamaal Magloire and the Bucks most recent exhibition game, I've softened a little.

I was already feeling bad for him because the Bucks just happened to be unlucky enough to win the #1 pick in a year where no one deserved it. My idea was just to have the draft start at #3 and continue on from there because no one deserved to be called "#1." Bogut looked pretty soft in summer-league games and Marvin Williams still kind of looks like Al Harrington to me: decent at a lot of things but never going to be great at anything. Overall this was looking like the worst draft since 2000 because the best player in that year's draft was selected 45th, the one and only Michael Redd.

After the Bucks most recent exhibition game, though, Bogut might have changed my mind. Yes its weak competition and so-on and so-forth, but Bogut put up some great numbers against Marcus Camby, Nene and the gang from Denver: 17 points, 8 rebounds on 7-10 shooting. Way to go big guy! Although I still think the (as-of-now injured) Dan Gadzuric should be starting-afterall, when he played more than 30 minutes a game last year he averaged 14.1 points, 12.8 rebounds, and posted the Bucks first 20-20 game for the Bucks in seven years (his limited minutes were part of the reason I supported the firing of Terry Porter)- Bogut definitely looks less like the flat-out bust I thought he would be (think Bill Wennington), and more like a solid backup, if not a reasonably qualified starter.